SEPTEMBER 26TH. THE BLACK COUNTRY ACCORDION CLUB | The Black Country Accordion Club

SEPTEMBER 26TH. THE BLACK COUNTRY ACCORDION CLUB

 

SEPT 26TH. THE BLACK COUNTRY ACCORDION CLUB

This evening was to be a concert to remember for our members and visitors alike, even though many of the members were familiar with the chosen musician, some of them had heard this particular guest artist many times before. Barry, in his wisdom had decided to add a touch of variety to the programme with a second guest artist and invited a local Black Country wench to provide a touch of humour to the concert. Heather Wastie was her name and she came along suitably armed with an ancient accordion and a selection of her own Black Country jokes, humour and songs. Her dialect and expressions went down very well with 99% of the home based audience and the remaining isolated 1% received a personal translation of some of the expressions. Heather’s very amusing homespun anecdote to rhyme and music went down very well indeed.

So who was the well known and famous guest artist then? Well, it was non other than that perennial pianist, (and accordionist), that persistent, popular, procurer and phenomena of the piano (and accordion), playing with such pleasure, producing pure poetry out of music, yes, it was only the proverbial, pleasant, audience pleasing, PEARL ADRIANO. Once again Pearl mesmerised every single member of the captivated audience with her usual superb rendering of popular classics. We dragged our old honkytonk piano out of retirement, dusted it down and she gave us a couple of tunes before turning to her accordions with a selection of very popular classics. We enjoyed both the Dance and the Gallop of the Comedians. Philip then joined Pearl for a brief duet playing Violetta and Woman in Love. The maestro treated us to a well chosen variety of music ranging from The Godfather theme to a rather jolly Pyramid Polka. An encore of Tinarella, and a standing ovation from every single member of the audience brought the concert to a close. I recalled a snippet of advice from the late Malcom Gee which was, “always leave the audience asking for more”, and that is exactly what Pearl does.

The club band practice nights continue to be well supported but the social nights have been sparsely attended lately raising the equation of cost and effort versus enthusiasm.

MONDAY OCT.24th. GARY BELL and The HALESOWEN BRASS BAND are here again by popular request. Please come early to get a seat.

MONDAY NOV.28TH. The one and only HARRY HUSSEY, also with another surprise guest artist and even a ‘FISH AND CHIPS SUPPER’.